BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The fundamentally unclean listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:24:29 -0800
Mark,  Never fear on my account.  Where I'm at the animal droppings, better
known by the highly technical term shit, are applied in the field at the
proper season.

At my advanced age I decided this term that I should take a college course
in children's lit.  I chose the afternoon class rather than the evening one
as it fits better with caring for my Dad, etc.  This means that I am in a
class with traditional college age kids.  The first day the prof, who's a
really hot shit--he and I wil get along really well, asked if there were
any words we wouldn't expect to find in children's literature.  One timid
little thing finally offered "bitch" in a quavering little voice.  Nobody
else said anything.  Not really knowing how far to go I said, "The
traditional forbidden four letter words."  Prof says, "So, what are they?"
So I let 'er rip with a few while the teeny boppers sat there with their
eyes popping out.  Guess they thought their generation invented those words
and us old timers never knew them.  Just like my generation invented sex.
Ruth

At 4:29 PM -0500 1/27/03, Mark W. James wrote:
In a message dated 1/27/2003 1:01:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Ralph, if you can't keep your cursor clean, that lady from the National
Parks Service is going to sign off.  Plus Ruth.  There is no need to
indulge in technial language.  Yrs,  Prima Donna

I know personally that one of the reasons I liked this list was the fact
that one could tell it the way it was rather than sugar-coat everything.  I
feel that rude langauge is sort of expected from Ralph by now.  I know that
when he was offline due to medical problems, a lot of people missed his off
white color jokes, the same as we miss the off color lifestyle of ex
President Clinton.  Like it or not, Clinton was fun.  Ralph is fun, and can
be helpful at times.  I was kicked off another list because I used a
graphic word that related to animal droppings.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but most
of what is discussed here, is also applied in the field, and any work site
brings out colorful language.  In all due respect to Ruth and the lady from
the National Parks Dept., I would simply say that if we are to be monitored
for colorful language, I would just soon remove myself from the list (not
that anyone would probably care.)  So shall we cast a vote?

MJ

--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT