BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:51:53 +1000
Kalsomine is a particular version of distemper.
Basically whiting or crushed chalk plus casein glue plus pigment.
A water-soluble paint system that had very little bond strength ... so
that once it was overpainted, the weight of the new coating was often
sufficient to pull the paint layers off the wall.
Used from the mid 19thC up until the mid 20thC - and hence can still be
the bane of renovators of early-mid 20thC houses.

David West
Executive Director
internationalconservationservices
T:     +61 (2) 9417 3311