BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:42:50 -0500
I am aware of at least two projects here in the Northeast where the
claim that French limestone was used is credible. One of these is
recent construction by someone who had little concern over cost.

It is usually a bad sign when a stone repair mortar manufacturer has
to become involved in a project less than 10 years old. In addition to
being chalkier than Indiana limestone which is more common in these
parts, the French stone we have seen is deeper yellow in color,
smaller in grain size, more porous and poorly cemented. Basically, it
weathers like shit (meant here in the sense of the term from Ralph's
technical lexicon) in a freeze-thaw environment.

It is not too far different from the Texas limestone we have seen,
which is similar in all respects including its poor weather
resistance. My guess is that this stuff survives in a mild
Mediterranean environment, as most things will, but should have been
left in France.

Mike E.

> In a message dated 1/19/03 11:22:59 AM , [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > Seems credible to me.  The limestone at Altman's, which is
considerably
> > bigger than 6 stories x 36' wide, is reported to have been French.
>
> At "house museums", after the volunteer docents' assertion that the
estate
> was built "with workmen imported from Italy", the next most unlikely
> statement I hear is that "the stone/brick/EFS/slate/clapboard/hot
water
> piping/laundry chute" "was imported from Europe."
>
> I suspect that the incidence of reported "importing from Europe",
whether
> human or sedimentary, is highly overstated - whether at Altman's or
> otherwise.  (I hear that stone, particularly, is heavy and has
trouble
> getting through those scanner points at airports.)
>
> Hey stonemasons, how many documented cases have you
seen/lifted/chipped
> at/burnished/Dutchman'ed of certifiably imported stone?
>
> Best,  Christopher Gray

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President