BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:13:15 -0500
Ilene,
Most of my work is done from a distance anyway and it'd be great to work on
a project with you someday.  But as I've said, I'm always happy to sneak in
a little pro bono document review on the side.  If you get those submittals
from SpecMix feel free to send them along and I'll give them the once over.

I don't think I know John Zarzecki but if he's distinguishing natural
cements from portland cements and limes then he must be doing his
petrography.  If he's submitting his microphotos in his reports then I'm
sure you're getting a good analysis.  Next time you speak to him let him
know that I'd be interested in speaking with him.

One additional word of warning on modern matching of early portland-lime
mixes.  Remember that the strength, elasticity, and permeability of early
portland may be quite different than the portlands of today as these are
engineered for the demands of high performance concrete construction.  A
cubic foot of modern portland may be nothing like a cubic foot of 1913
portland.

Finally, while I am obviously biased, I have to disagree that there is a
time and season for a mortar analysis.  For several hundred dollars on one
well chosen sample you can qualitatively identify binders, pozzolans, and
sand with at least an approximate estimate of proportions.  My feeling is
that while this might not be a sufficient level of documentation on
moderate-sized projects, it at the very least establishes some baseline to
judge safe preservation practices on even the smallest project.  Okay, I'll
shut-up now before I start sounding like a snake oil salesman!

John