BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:14:10 -0400
 >>>GE claims  silicone is both
vapor-permeable AND waterproof, which makes it  sound like the answer to
a maiden's (and a/e's) prayer.<<<

Well, this is like saying epoxy is vapor-permeable and waterproof. It
can be depending on the formulation and the application, and the
substrate, and about 19 other things. Soybeans can be used to make the
plastic comb for your hair, a weather resistant coating, a paint
stripper, and your lunch. Just like you can drink milk with that lunch
and give your house a 40-year paint job with it.

If your job is to sell silicone I guess you can say just about anything
you think people want to hear.

Now, don't get me wrong, I used silicone to repair my electric razor
back in 1987 and it is still performing admirably. In fact, I'm sort of
wishing it would fail so I can switch to shaving with a straight razor.

My current strategy with sales reps and marketing of most kinds is that
if someone has to "sell" it to me I probably don't need it.

John