BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:36:01 -0700
From: "Mary Tegel" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [BP] Wet dry bullamanka party

Hey-- I am prodding for a Work party. Isn't there some deserving wreck
of a built thing at a lovely spot  where you all could meet halfway
and have a go at it? With your Tools. Play when it's too dark to work?
A bullamanka-hey-these-folks-know- what-they're-doing-O-Rama!

hands-on impresario
Tegel  Design +  Planning

Hey, I've got just the thing right here in beautiful Victoria, the
restoration of the fire damaged stair and semi-Gothic hall in Craigflower
Farmhouse.    They even just got some grant money for the work!   Handsome
honorariums all around.

John and Rudy can help me turn spindles and re-fit the mortise and tenon
details of the banister made of Arbutus (Madrone) with dozens of heartwood
blocks fitted side by side and core upward to make the unique railing.   Ken
can write a murder mystery about it and create a ghost to help attract
visitors to pay admission.   For the masons, the hall walls are a perfect
task, well, sort of.   The original 1850's wallpaper was made to look like
10" x 20" stone blocks, probably to give the folks recently arrived from
Scotland a feeling that they were actually back in their substantial stone
home there.   The paper was reproduced beautifully during the 1967
restoration project, but half burnt away in February.   Any stone (not
stoned) silk-screeners in the crowd?

Anyway, it would make a marvellous event to repair this little stair.   The
property management seems awed by the task and afraid to not do it to the
best quality work possible.   What a crew we might make, and having you guys
there would resolve the local credibility issue (Definition of an Expert =
Someone from more than 25 miles away carrying a box of slides.).

And to top it off, the historic 1856 Four Mile Pub is just down the road,
followed by 1857 Six Mile Pub and then the 1860's 17 Mile Pub.   They all
serve Amanka along with the daily specials.

As ee cummings said, "Let's make yes!"

cp in bc
(actually not kidding)