BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:17:46 -0500
What is permanent?
I've found that stonework (usually 1.5 +/-" marble slabs) in lobbies in
NYC dating from the 1930's forward are often set with plaster. This with
ferric fasteners such as quite thin mild steel wire as a tie-back.
I'm not sure how long plaster has been in use but in reassembling a
Victorian Carrara marble fireplace breast in the oldest house in
Hartford, CT the original, and the replacement, were set with plaster.
You have to make sure to get a plaster that sets quickly enough but not
too quick. If it takes to long to set you have to sit and wait before
setting another stone.
Tempering does not seem to work for me.
I agree that you have to be very organized to work with plaster... but
then again it is incredibley flexible as a setting media.
On the above mentioned Hartford project I was swearing at the stones as
I set them and did not realize the docents, fine ladies, were standing
right behind me.
I talk to the stones when I play with them... sometimes it is fairly
intimate the discourse.
Plaster is absolutely NOT appropriate for an external or wet condition.
I've used dental plaster in the past but primarily for model & mold
making. I'd not consider it for stone setting... but I am willing to
experiment.

GO