BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:35:06 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/99 5:04:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I would put forth that vernacular="regular" and non-vernacular="weird"

Bradley,

I like this one. :-) No need to call mother.

I'm getting clarified here myself as I keep thinking "vernacular"
architecture is like BIG ducks and elephants and dinosaurs and things like
geodesic domes with palm trees growing out of them. This is normal?
Vernacular to nonvernacular is like low and high English. Only people in
their right minds speak vernacular. The confusion that there may be nothing
but vernacular may occur more for people who have never been excluded from
using the elevator in the Plaza Hotel because they were caught wearing
construction boots. I think control of Capital $$$ defines something other
than vernacular, then relegates everything exluded to being vernacular. I'm
vernacular to a lot of people who reside in the Hamptons. They won't invite
me over for a pignic unless they are looking for camp lawn decor that moves
around. I imagine BP'rs waxing poetic over A & W Rootbeer stands in the Black
Mountains during a rain storm after driving all day in the dry Dakotas is
vernacular.

][<en