BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:46:10 -0500
---------- Original Message -----------
From: Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:33:23 -0400
Subject: Re: contracts & contractors

> edison wrote:
>
> >But how do you REALLY feel about it, Ken?
> >

> Michael,
>
> Why do I always get the hard questions?
>
> I don't join the cheats and I don't sleep soundly. The dream I had last
> night was a killer. First time I have every really paid attention to
> a child incinerating themselves. I don't know what that was about. Figure
> if I put it on BP that Leland might jump in with an interpretation.

I WOULD ARGUE THAT THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LOSS OF SLEEP ASSOCIATED
WITH DAY TO DAY PROBLEMS AND THE LOSS OF SLEEP ONE MIGHT EXPERIENCE KNOWING,
SAY, THAT FEDERAL PROSECUTORS ARE INVESTIGATING YOU ON CHARGES OF BRIBING A
PUBLIC OFFICIAL TO GET PUBLIC CONTRACTS WITHOUT FAIR BIDDING PROCEDURES. OR
THAT YOU'RE BEING SUED FOR SPRAYING WATER ON THE BUILDING INSTEAD OF THE
WATER REPELLENT YOU WERE PAID TO APPLY.

> There is a hurricane coming up the coast and I have a parapet wall
> opened on a bank in Southampton -- prime ocean exposure -- I'd like
> to see it put back together before the high winds come up. I'll be hoisting
> and carrying the bricks as well as everyone else on the team. I'm not
> too much concerned about bigness or smallness right now. As for that
> I was made an offer recently to be bigger than I have ever been in bigness
> and I turned it down flat with a smile. I have a contract with my
> son, as my current business partner, and I need to honor it. I make other
> contracts, formal  and informal and I intend to honor them the best
> I am able.
IT TAKES A LONG TIME FOR A SMALL BUSINESS TO DEVELOP BEYOND GETTING THROUGH
THE CRISIS OF THE DAY.

> Since I rarely eat fancy meals, mostly rice, beans and green peppers,
> and am concerned to keep the one vehicle running long enough to
> double as family car and workshop I'm not sure how many more fancy
> meals I would need or how many fancy vehicles I would try to drive
> at once. A new and roadworthy van would be nice -- but right now
> where it is at is my son is over with our neighbors the local stock
> car team (they placed 4th in their division) standing outside in the
> rain under tarps discussing the work they are doing on the car he
> got from his grandmother that they are fixing up in exchange for the
> bus that we gave them so they could haul their car to the track and
> have a mobile clubhouse in the pits -- we need another vehicle right
> now real bad and it is not fancy. I would just be happy if I had
> assurance that my family and associates were able to have safe
> vehicles, a safe home, food, health insurance and equal parts of
> happiness and sanity in their lives.
>
> It is difficult to maintain quality of life when you are dealing with
> cheats, liars and thieves. Been there, done that, not interested. It
> is a tough thing but I have always tried to honor my word. Some days
> I wish the hell I did not have to. Some days I wonder just what the
> hell they think I was saying when I gave my word. And then there
> have been times when I have been restrained and not able to keep my
> word the way I wanted to keep it -- for those times I lose sleep as
> well. I expect to be around the next twenty years doing what I am
> doing and I don't see how if I get in the habit of breaking my word
> that I will be able to get very much better at it. Actually, you
> cause me to think... it is not that I want more food or more fancy
> cars... I am obsessive... what I really want is to do the most
> damned interesting work in histo presto that I can muster and to do
> it with my friends and associates and do a hell of a good job of it.
> I'm greedy that way. Every project nearly well done makes me happy.
> I also want to write  funny stories and buy more books... but that
> is a separate issue.
I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE OBSESSION TO DO THE MOST INTERESTING HISTORIC
WORK IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE.

> I return to the statement that I do not want to work with, for,
>  around, or anywhere near people that I do not like. I am fortunate
> that I tend to like a variety of people. Contrary to the fact that
> some have expressed that my attitude may not be a very realistic
> position in business I have to say that I am finding it incredibly
> rewarding and entertaining.
>
> ][<en
MY CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW INDEPENDENCE AND MY BEST WISHES FOR FINDING
THE PERSONAL FULFILLMENT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

MIKE E.

------- End of Original Message -------