BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 07:25:10 -0700
At 4:59 AM -0400 9/29/02, Ralph Walter wrote:
In a message dated 9/28/2002 2:52:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Ralph Dahling,  You SIMPLY MUST come to Vermont and visit. (I think that's
how you city folk talk.)
Ayup.  That's how we'uns talk in Joisey, alrighty.

I thought so, that's the way they talk in the movies.

 I consider myself lucky to have figured out what PEOPLE do and (more or
less) how they do it; at least I think I've figured it out. I assumed
mammals all work about the same (but then, I thought that cats were the
female version of dogs, so there appear to have been some inadequacies in
both my formal and informal education).

Ralph, we must be related.  When I was a kid we had LOTS of cats but no
dogs.  I waited in vain for them to grow up to be dogs.

But as far as birds and reptiles and bugs, let's just say I never went there.

I thought you well educated city folk would have studied biology and
learned all that stuff.

Ralph

PS-- If ya think I'M bad, I had to point out to our female Rabbi that
there's a problem with a line in our prayerbook that talks about "the
calving of our oxen."

If it is referring to the oxen having calves there is a problem.  Or is it
referring to when the oxen were born or calved?  However, I think back in
the time the prayer book was originally written ox referred to any bovine
that was used for work.  Not just castrated males as we use the term today.
But you better defer to the Rabbi on this as I have absolutely no knowledge
of Jewish prayer books, but I have heard they are written upside down or
something.  Maybe that's why it takes so long to read them.  I have only
ever been to one Jewish religous service, a Bar Mizpah for one of John's
friends.  John wanted to go so I took him.  It was 3 HOURS LONG.  I thought
it would never end and I was sitting next to another of the friends who was
there without parents and the kid is ADHD.  He wiggled and squirmed the
entire time with me telling him it would surely be over soon.  It was
longer than a Catholic funeral.  So that's my whole experience with the
Jewish faith but I'm sure there must be more to it than that.  Let me know
what you find out about the "calving oxen."   Ruth
--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT