BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:15:44 -0500
Well, somewhere in the middle of pounding away on that Nordic Trak it
happened again.  There is so little tolerance for my surprise
discoveries of what everyone else seems to have always known, that I
decided to inflict this revelation on you.

I've always liked some Modern Architecture.  I've always liked the
expression of structure.  So why is this guy a preservationeer?  Because
I have also always liked the expression of mastery of craft and trade,
too.  There is no conflict in my design sensibilities, lots of good
historic architecture and good Modern Architecture express both of those
things!  They even go on to record something of the history ofthe
buildings occupations in the fabric, which I also like.

This all ties into what I do not like too.  I do not like fake stone
pediments, glued to a plywood panels, perched on 4X4 columns.  Such
things are repulsive.  They deny gravity, the nature of materials, the
skills of the trades, the taste of the designer and reflect poorly on
those advising the owner.  But hey, what do I know about design...it
must be some kind of a new pair of dimes.

One day I may try my hand at design again.  I seem to think I know so
much more about it now than I did when I thought I wanted to be a
designer.

Maybe when I beat that Nordic Trak into submission I'll try my hand at
design.

Some days things just fit together.

-jc