BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:56:27 -0500

> *You are the avian accident king!*

HC,

But I don't want to be king... the bird poop thread reminded me of the
incident.
For me it was a defining moment in an odd journey.
Actually, I think Drew has a much better bird story if he chooses to
share it.

][<en

The character, Kelvin Skeesuks has found himself locked into a county
jail cell...

Last year he had been traveling in his truck for the sake of moving and
kept himself awake for three days and three nights. On the third night
it occurred to him as he shot down the road that he had not gone
anywhere in his entire life. He was not going anywhere this time in
space; he had stepped into a closet in the basement room at his
grandmother's house and was now imagining that he was locked into a
perpetual movement along the road at high speed in the confines of a tin
coffin. He reached out hoping to find a coat hanger dangling in the
reality beyond what he could see with possible a clean blue shirt or an
old wide print-tie of his grandfather's to grab back. But all he saw was
the road stretched straight ahead with the peripheral movement of the
landscape in the shadows of the night. The world a ghost with him moving
within. Then there was a dark form, a pheasant flying at him. It struck
the windshield at the borderline where the metal roof of the truck met
the glass. It was like the hitting of a very large, super large Luna
moth, a heavy splat of blood and feathers flesh and bird shit. There was
nothing broken but the mass of avian bones, it was a sudden awakening.
He pulled over to the side of the road and slept until the sun was too
hot warming the cab of the truck. He awoke in a sweat, naked and alone,
thirsty, naked as he had been in his driving and he was somewhere out in
the Dakotas with a lump of the Black Mountains set out ahead on the
flattened horizon. He unfastened his safety belt and went over to the
toilet to relieve his lizard.