BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:38:16 +0000
John

There is a thread a few months ago about this very topic.  Search the archives for 'indent' - being the UK/Australian term for 'dutchman'.

I have found on projects down here that if I have repairs to do to ashlar or rectilinear mouldings where there is no problems with the profiling, then the cost differential between patch repair and stone indents is only about 10-20% (with patch being cheaper).  However, the stone indents are quicker - because I don't make them cure the indents for several days - and this saves them money.  On one project, the contractor voluntarily substituted stone indents for patches because it saved him time!!!

The biggest problem is matching stone.  If you can source matching stone, then indents/dutchmen are great.  If not, then it is more problematic.

Note that when I spec patch repair, I require dressing back of the stone to sound material, and use of stainless steel dowels and reinforcement in the patch on all but the smallest of patches ... which makes it more difficult for the patch repair man!

Cheers

david