BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 08:45:06 -0500
John,

I have enjoyed following the re-newed patching dialogue

Many of the environmental conditions and micro-environmental conditions such
as temperature, change in temperature, rate of change in temperature, sun
exposure, wind, etc, etc are things that a good and experienced craftsman
can be aware of and adjust for in the field.  Often approved color matches
would require a palette of, say, 256 colors!  (Quiz: Does anyone know how
many shades of gray the human eye can detect?) Often it would be better to
send a technician/craftsman to do the job and send along someone else to
listen and take notes and photographically document rather than to try and
specify thirty years of field experience.  Further I think allot would be
gained in the name of better building if specifiers devoted more time
qualifying and specifying the craftsman as well as the material. (Mike, I
don't know who should pay for the PUP's: propriatary usage permits.  Are the
manufacterers the best teachers?)
Mary's (hi Mary) due diligence in having the craftsman do a mock-up is a
good first step, but many inexperienced craftsmen can make it "look" good in
any given situation.  An interview and examination of previous work with the
craftsman,  discussion of what works and what has failed (and as the client
is paying the specifier so too should the craftsman be paid).

I'll wager there are alot of us out there that have seen failers (for one
reason or another) of the big three (Mame? Dennis? Mike?) and all the newer
or smaller kids on the block.  I will also venture to say that product
differentiation as it becomes better known will reveal fairly common sense
advantages that are not  necessarily confined to performance and appearance
issues.

Best,

Leland

(Hey Dan watch this:)