BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:38:08 -0800
Jeeze, I just can't get it right !   That's what happens if I don't have
some coffee first!

www.heritage.gov.bc.ca

Heading off to now work on a beautifully preserved dirt floor from 1877.
Now there is a restoration challenge ! ! !

Discovered the unsuspected floor below 4 layers of wood flooring.   The
original wood joists had been set into grooves carved in the dirt floor.
The loose dirt from that digging had covered the firm polished dirt layer,
so we didn't notice it until starting to excavate in order to create a
little air space below the new/restored wood floor to be installed.
Already have dug some of the beautiful polished dirt layer away before
taking a close look at why there was such a hard layer 2" down.   Now I am
trying to think how to stabilize at least a little of the dirt floor for a
museum exhibit.   Any suggestions from you stone(d) guys?   It is just like
the dirt floors I used to see in old adobe houses in Arizona, slick and
smooth from lots of sweeping after a little water was dripped on.

cp in dirty bc