BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "where heavy conservationists hang out"
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:13:22 EDT
In a message of love and tolerance for our plant brothers and sisters,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Nevertheless, I think a trellis frame constructed away from the wall and
> regularly chopped out with a long machete or similar must have some pretty
> good possibilities for giving us ivy on buildings without all of the
problems.

>  Shall we set up a business to design, manufacture and install the ivy
> trellises?  What should we call it?  BULLAMANKA IVYSCAPES?
>  Cheers  >  david

What a small(ish) world!  24 hours ago I was standing next to my uncle
(in-law) at his cliff-top manse in Martha's Vineyard overlooking Vineyard
sound.  Indeed, David, he was USING A MACHETE to cut out the growth of the
vines, which were reaching back from the c. 1946 framework erected to keep
them off the shingled facade.  Just in case you're thinking of
patent-nabbing, this framework consists of 1"x1" stock, stoutly connected,
and fastened to the house by really heavy stock iron straps, but at a kept at
a distance of 9" from the shingles.  Just the right width for machete
wielding (or cricket hunting).

May I add that I took the new 60 MPH ferry to and from the Vineyard this
weekend (connecting the Vineyard with NYC) and it was absolutely great.
Really adds value to a Vineyard house, as far as a New Yorker is concerned.
Adieu to Interstate 95, I hope.

Sign me,  Opposable Thumb