BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:29:54 -0400
>>> I couldn't open a .jpeg if my life depended on it.  Why did you send it
out?
>  Paint me a word picture, please - I'm writing an article on him right
now.
My apology. I assume, unless informed otherewise, that everyone can open a
graphic. Heavens, I need now resort to explaining a joke.<<

While I understand the usefulness and coolness of graphics (and use them
often), I find it an annoyance to get them through the BP Preservationeers
maillist. They come as long sections of data that appear as mixed up
letters. My mail program (Outlook Express) does not automatically process
them into pictures. I can translate this data with the use of another
program, but it takes 10-15 minutes to get it done, and sometimes it does
not work.

I would not lobby against sending graphics this way, but I do think that a
word picture should always acompany them so I can decide if it is worth
trying to translating the graphic. One of the "standards" that seems to be
developing on other maillists is to post graphics at a website and reference
it with a URL in the message that can be clicked on by the message reader.
With my setup this would be highly convenient and I would look at most of
the graphics available this way. I also helps reduce bandwidth use over the
internet, and the attendent conservation of that resource.

Hoping the preceeding will be taken in the light of constructive criticism,

John (always trying to find the best way to use new tools) Leeke