BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:04:39 -0400
Lisa Sasser wrote:
> Ken,
>
> As a matter of fact I don't remember any reading material except for
> some equipment manuals.  A pretty serious issue when you think about
> it . . .
>
> Lisa
Lisa,

Dystopia without cultural mythology. Seems oddly appropriate for the
Rockefeller clan. And then there is Jefferson's re-constituted library
as the core of the Library of Congress, both in physical presence and in
concept of what a library is to the nation.

My query ties in with an ongoing interest in the re-constitution, or
not, of Mark Twain's library at his residence in New Haven. I have
always been curious at how closely in the restoration they have been in
the collection... that seems to be spread around the house. My surmise,
particularly in the dim light of the place, is not very rigorous about
it at all. Goes along w/ my fascination in faux libraries, as can be
found in decorated pubs, or trompe l'oeil shelves of books in hotel
lobbies, or an entire bookstore painted on a wall in Quebec City. In the
case of Mark Twain he sold off his collection and there are folks around
about who try to track them down based on handwriting analysis in
marginalia. Seems a good deal of his books, at least ones identifiable,
ended up in Texas. And then, in a separate vein there are the odd
libraries that were bequeathed out of private collections in the 19th
century and a town library built, and old books to this day kept away
from handling of the public.

][<en

--

*Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* <http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp>