BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:01:50 -0700
>     Since the tiles are really fragile we're looking for suggestion on how
>     to separate the tiles from the plaster(?) panels. Any ideas or
>     previous
>     experience out there?
>

> If it is plaster, you can probably soak the back of the panels in
> water until they disintegrate.  You may help the process along with
> some muriatic acid (add acid to water).  You probably should check the
> tiles for stability and colorfastness with the acid before you start
> using muriatic acid.

I agree with Steve - use water soak. I would also suggest that the
water-acid-solution if used NOT be allowed to touch the finish surface
of the tiles in any manner. Possibly experiment w/ ProSoCo's acid stop
material... it is made to be applied to glass on windows when a masonry
building is acid washed. I've never found it to be very practical for
the intended use and sometimes it can be harder to remove than is really
needed. You may also look at the liquid glove products for masking. Do
not, though, use a paper tape as it will act as a poultice and hold the
solution against the tile. You may also try vaseline though the tiles
may end up as fun to work with as a greased watermelon in the wetlands.
I'm reminded of a project we did on a red slate roof for Twybil in which
we had to salvage the existing slate by removing bituminuous crap from
it. It was messy.

unHisto Presto trivia: Max's Kansas City in bio of Iggy Pop I am reading
when you applied for a job there you would be asked if you carry vaselene.

][<en