BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:49:25 EDT
Send Mr. Gray (northern cousin) on a leisure walk in NYC and amazing sites
come alive, along with some really fine prose descriptions. As an
illustration for discussion I provide the following brief quotes:

"With a purposely unfinished finish of raw concrete and jagged edges of
leftover terrazzo, it reflects the latest in architectural theory and eschews
doctrinaire restoration." I love the word "eschews" or, efchewf for
experienced BP'rs - we eschew those who uphold the myth of doctrinaire
restoration by sleeping in the auditorium.

"…drawn to the establishment by rugby on television and steam-table brisket
and potatoes on the menu." Sounds Irish. Is this a place where books are
recited or where a Scot-German dabbler can learn to be an author? Makes me
hungry. Time for another pignic?

'The corner building, designed in 1888, has flaking brownstone as antique,
for New York, as any monument on the Acropolis." Antique kitsch or façade
desperation? Resonance of words once typed on BP?

"… antithesis of the homey, friendly character that Worldwide Plaza was
trying to achieve." Factoid: the arcade at WwP is a perfectly designed
habitat for pigeons.

The description of the merits of the Municipal Parking Garage should be
cherished for many more years.

_Beyond Times Square's Glitz, a Motley Avenue_, Christopher Gray, NY Times
9/26/99

Disclaimer: it is my understanding that the use of no more than 5 sentences
of quotation for purpose of illustrating a discussion for purposes of
education is not considered copyright infringement. Otherwise, Weehawken
waits. :-)

][<en