BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:02:46 EDT
In a message dated 7/21/00 10:29:22 AM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> So, did the voice program pass the test?

Julip,

Well, considering the rash of contractors calling us up of late requesting if
we can give them a price to subcontract work (always for a big job due in two
days time) that speak in a variant of English, I assume it is English but
cannot make any claims to expertise as a linguist, that I cannot hope to ever
understand in a thousand lifetimes, I think the computer did fairly well.

Try arguing with a high pitched screamer on the phone if you cannot figure
out what they are saying. Is it that the NYC cab drivers are now running
estimating sweatshops?

I do have a lingering worry if these people calling us are let loose on
heritage fabric simply for the fact that their bids are too low -- which they
would rarely be if we gave them a price. :-) Can't say much for speech
patterns, but I would think a reasonable prequalification for bidding
historic preservation work is a demonstrated ability to read English (unless,
that is, English is the foreign language of the locale), at least enough to
tell one portable toilet from another without drawings. If we are real lucky
possibly the contractors will be able to read specifications. I joke not.

][<en