BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:07:59 -0400
>   Heidi I  know Beale street in Memphis; yes that facade is just up from the
>old police museum; Im sure the stabilization was orginally not intentional for
>its present day longevity however  Beale street is such a hodge podge of
>historic comercial vernacular to suit a 70 year plus clientel that has seen
>about as many changes as tee shirt and shoe and leather  shops on 8th street
>in the west village; the greater Memphis has most interesting districts with
>great buildings; a small So Ho potential without the hype...Memphis is well
>worth exploring...forget Graceland..unless you want to explore a part of
>American culture that is the closest thing we have to a death cult...but then
>again..its like going to the top of the Empire State  Building..it gives you
>bragging rights back home ..regards MD

Yep, tis all true.  Only 5% of Graceland vistation is from the Memphis
area.  Most have cameras slung around their necks.  Only two types of
people go to Graceland: those who go to cry...

...and those who go to laugh.  There is no middle ground.

South Main becomes more fantabular with each passing year.

Dan Becker,  Executive Director            "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                                     from some flounder?"
Districts Commission                             - Bullwinkle J. Moose