BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 12:07:27 -0400
Deborah Mills Woodcarving wrote:
> Still feeling my way through all these new communication channels.  On
> the one hand, I love finding references to people and information I'd
> otherwise never know about;
yes, I agree, that is a plus
> on the other hand, you need time to browse and nibble your way through
> the thicket to reach those juicy berries.
I have been finding that there are ways to develop filters, but it is
certainly a kind of wild space
Suddenly I am connected to a poet from Bangladesh... i'm curious, but
then i'm not curious in a hurry once I look -- and they want me to be
responsive.
I think it takes a bit of stamina to ignore people.
> Also I'm old enough to be thoroughly weirded out over privacy issues.
I deal with it by making up multiples of fake persona. When I first
started to do e-mail and was getting all these, "Are you the real Ken
Follett?" it got tedious in a hurry.
I own the @kenfollett twitter address, by the way. I felt very
triumphant to get ahead of that curve by a very small measure.
> Facebook still feels like shouting with a bullhorn into a crowded room.
I am finding the room so crowded that it hardly makes any difference how
loudly I may be inclined to shout.
A problem w/ the shouting is our thinking anyone that we could possibly
care to have a conversation with will hear us.

][<en