BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:13:55 -0500
First, I think its quiet because all the responsible pinheads are in
Ohio for PTN.

The plug is just me looking for a convenient and fairly uniform way
of taking paint samples home for study and perhaps to send to friends
for opinions.  The more typical practice is to chip out a piece with
a pocket knife or scalpel.  I'd like it to be a uniform shape and
size so that I can plug the hole easily and not leave the resource
with an open invitation to wood eating critters.  (Leaving holes
behind is also an invitation to criticisms, in fact, criticisms I
made myself in former lives, and would just as soon not be thought of
as someone who leaves a trail of holes in historic building materials
behind to let the world know he's been there.)

I think the hole cutter is promising.  It does seem that my plug-
cutter was just a bit too small and too hard to hold steady.  It is
also true that the bit was intended for a drill press, not a hand
held drill.  I'll try various sizes of hole cutters with centering
bits.  When I find one that works I'll have to find a dowel of the
same size, so I'd like to keep it as small as practical.  I don't
think a dowel larger than 1" is going to be readily available.

But, its not really a big problem.

-jc