BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 17:05:34 -0500
In line with University/legal restrictions on photographing buildings.
Nothing like a dose of consciuosness of a subject to drive one nuts. I thank
Mary Krugman for the insight.

Last week I was at Princeton and took photos of a building. I was secluded in
the attic with a flashlight, a CM and an engineer. I hope the brick walls of
the interior chimneys come out in the photos. I defy anyone at Princeton to
identify the source of the photos when I go public with them. I intend a
major advertising campaign. The PR of going to the Supreme Court with this
sounds luckrative. I'm more interested in writing up G&E's adventures to
inspect the 36 chimney pots on the same building. Etidorpha thought it was a
culinary expedition... but I will not give it away here and now.

A few days later I was at Stoney Brook on LI to look at another building. I
was there at 7 am, not early for me. I thought it odd that there were no
students on this campus (they don't come out of hiding until around 9 am). I
walked around the building several times. I was more concened about getting a
parking ticket than being asked what I was doing out-and-about alone. There
is a psychology to looking like you belong.

I had to estimate footage of caulking on the pre-cast, not by any means a
historic structure, one of those ghastly 70's abominations. For more than an
hour I walked around measuring, making notes, and taking photos. Got some
real nice pictures of defective caulking falling out of the joint, some truly
awesome photos of destressed concrete, and some neat brick. On a roll!

There was an active colony of gray squirrels. Needing subjects for future G&E
ruminations on mad squirrel disease I followed them around for a while taking
pictures. I don't know what Universities think about photographing their
squirrels, mad or otherwise. I spent about 15 minutes trying to get a good
squirrel picture. The right sunlight angle, face perky, hanging off the side
of the tree trunk. A perk of my occupation, I guess. Sometimes I take
pictures of frogs, also.

Then I happened to look to see if I was running out of film and realized that
I had not put film in the camera to begin with. I had to go around the
building a second time. The squirrels were easier this time.

What was really odd, I thought, is that after wandering around the place for
three hours that not once did anyone talk to me. I was invisible. The
preservation muffins really work.

][<en Follett