BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Shinola Heretics United"
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:22:38 -0500
Speaking of guano, I was cleaning out my son's cage today (or, more
specifically the cage of my son's parrot...I'm not that bad a dad). He
usually cleans it out, and I am always on to him about doing it, yet he
complains. Now I realize why.

Have any BP's out there ever had the experience of removing hardened parrot
poop? You think coming back two weeks later after a repoint job and trying
to clean the mortar off the bricks is tough, just be glad your building's
not in Kentucky where they have feral colonies of Quaker Parrots looking for
crops to destroy and buildings to bomb.

I'm considering applying for a preservation grant to study the chemical
makeup of parrot poop. I propose to develop a restoration patching compound
which will put Jahn products to shame. Perhaps Michael Edison would want in
on this research?

If you stir up the poop, it kinda has the color range of limestone, but I
suppose it could be tinted to match brownstone also. A solution of
ParrotPatch (TM) could be conceivably used to consolidate punky stone.

The problem is that the poop sets up faster than hydraulic cement (and is
denser, too). Perhaps a latex modifier? I might select Kentucky as the
manufacturing location since they got so many over there. (Ours flew into
our house and has taken over our lives. A small bird with a big attitude and
a sharp beak. Gloves are mandatory in the morning before he's had his
Captain Crunch).

John Horton

"My shoe is off,
my foot is cold,