BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Shinola Heretics United"
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:51:20 EST
In a message dated 12/13/99 6:54:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In the best of all possible worlds, how should this project proceed?

Sharpshooter,

You are at the mercy of a city full of well meaning idiots, and not so well
meaning contractors.

Managing agents are usually not qualified to make appropriate quality-control
decisions regarding construction issues, so the effect I predict of the 3 bid
situation is that the low bidder will be accepted, as the managing agent
probably is used to dealing with money issues, and the cleaning of the
building will result in all quality control being in the hands of a
contractor that may, but probably does not, know what they are doing, and the
facade will be overcleaned and damaged. That will be an ERROR!

My recommendation is that you have the managing agent hire an architectural
conservator specializing in the cleaning of buildings in order to 1) have
them establish a specification, 2) have them recommend reputable contractors,
3) have them review the contractor's proposals not only for cost but
intelligence and 4) have them oversee the performance of quality issues on
the project. It is money well spent in avoiding errors. An engineer, though
certainly useful for structural projects, may not be the most appropriate
choice when it comes to cleaning facades.

I do not recommend that you have the managing agent look for the best
historic preservation contractor in NYC. There needs to be someone, either
architect, engineer or architectural conservator, that can interpret the
building's needs to the contractor, and the contractor's behaviour to the
building. The smaller the project and the more enlightened the building and
managing agent the less everyone needs to be encumbered with management
overhead.

Managing agents, though they manage buildings, should not be confused with
construction project managers. I've been involved with projects where the
managing agent proved to be a piss poor project manager... but little that
you could say to them about it.

][<en