BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:18:00 -0500
I acquired a copy of "Fine Paints of Europe---The Specifier's
Manual---Sixth Edition---Woodstock, Vermont".  FPE is the exclusive
importer/distributer of Schreuder Finishes.  Phone 800-332-1556, Fax
Order 802-457-1740.  Note particularly the well hyped page, "Why are
Schreuder Paints so Special".  The claim is the low use of fillers,
particularly inexpensive fillers.  You will find product descriptions
for 13 paints, primers, varnish, putty etc.  and an admirable guide
to brushes, moisture meters (!), books, preparation, etc.

Example:  PHP House Paint spec "All existing house paint must be
removed from clapboard or siding by mechanical means.  We strongly
recommend against the use of chemical strippers or heat for this
purpose."  The "nailheads only" issue is a a bit ambiguous ("On
substrates in poor condition we strongly
recommend...Primer/Undercoat"), but its Primer description excludes
the PHP House Paint on new wood (?!!).  Binder is stated "Long-oil
alkyd"; Pigments are Titanium dioxide, mineral and organic pigments;
Solids contents for white is 57.4 by weight, 40.5 by volume.  Etc.
Etc. Etc.

As always, "Caveat emptor", and notwithstanding the close association
of Schreuder with Martha Stewart,  I'm still interested in good
performance with or without the hype.  Good case data...please step
forward.

The Rev.