BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:05:09 -0400
> All,
>
> Just catching up on the last couple of weeks of BP and saw the ref
to the brochure stating that garbage incinerators weren't necessary in
homes with a pig...

> In the mythical Ohio, we put out one can of trash every two weeks,
partly because every scrap of waste in the house got put into one of
the three: compost pile, dog's dish, guinea pig's cage.

> Recycling was not available to us for a long time, but we still
managed to recycle by being choicy about what sorts of containers we
purchased things in, and by using newspapers for just about everything
that other people use paper towels and drop cloths for. We even rolled
them up and burned them in the stove.

> All this was a lot of work, and when we all had to start working
full time to make ends meet, these sorts of efforts, along with many
other activities like volunteering and neighboring, suffered greatly.
(One of the reasons America is no longer a participatory democracy,
but I won't get started on  that.)

> deb

This reminds me of the question posed to the Presidential candidates
(last time? the time before?) about whether they had ever recycled
anything. In our town, if you're running for something you show up at
the Town Dump on Sarurday morning, where you are bound to meet just
about everybody.

Recycling is difficult, and I sometimes wonder whether all those
separate dumpsters end up going to the same place anyway. But when I
look at plastic bottles and other bio-resistant disposables, it seems
odd to me that we are creating things that will last thousands of
years when their intended use will be complete in a matter of days or
months.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President