BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"S. Stokowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I know you're full of schist!"
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:05:47 EDT
In a message dated 7/27/99 9:35:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Know
 of any features I could look for to date this thing? >>

Candy:

You might try prying up the corner stones and look for old coins.  You might
also look for any gate hardware that might be identified and possibly dated.
Drill holes in the stones might also be useful - determine if they are hand
or jackhammer drilled.  Jackhammers were invented in the mid 1800's.  If the
project is financially supported, you might also look for an associated piece
of buried charcoal that might be tree ring or carbon 14 dated.  Better budget
about $1k for this type of lab analysis.

Steve Stokowski
Stone Products Consultants
Ashland, MA