BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:44:51 -0500
all very interesting - I have read recently that the population in my area
has just now reached what it was in 1846, during the shepherding boom. Of
course this new population flows in and out like the tide over the seasons.
I have also discovered that my town (Egremont Mass) was part of an area that
was promoted as Olde Egremont some time in the 1920s Most people signed on
and agreed to  some joint marketing which apparently included never spelling
old without an e on the end. The town of South Egremont is now designated a
National Historic district. I wonder how much the original, sort of phony
sounding scam,made what is here now possible? The question of how to
preserve the good parts of what we have is more dependent on personal
involvement than anything else. Much of the character of the houses in my
small town derive from the changes the have gone through, and not from a
major architectural firm design. Of course the hot new design up here
imitates that built through the years look, but most of design is imitation
and after all what is restoration? There is an undercurrent of fitting in,
or being appropriate, that seems to keep things in line here. It's sort of
like everyone has The Old Way of Seeing at the genetic level. I agree with
mike that the hordes of people are scary, and this is nothing, look at India
or similar. I think the tourist sites are somewhat of a shame because it
tends to make people think that history isn't everywhere.  Creighton Brown

From: John Craib-Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, February 25, 1999 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: Conjunction