BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marilyn Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:22:50 -0400
     Bert Bedeau wrote:

     "There is presently a move on to preserve other significant examples of
     Mission 66 architecture which has been spearheaded by Richard Longstreth,
     among others.  I understand there has been recent success with Richard
     Neutra's Cyclorama building at Gettysburg.  So much for my Mission 66
     rant."

     After some resistance, the Park Service has commissioned a theme study for
     the whole Mission 66 program, including not only visitor centers, but
     roads, overlooks, landscaping, staff housing, etc.  Current park philosophy
     is diametrically opposed to most of the principles behind Mission 66.  I
     think most park people would really like to get rid of the visitor centers.
      They're "ugly, badly constructed, and in the wrong place"--that is, right
     smack in the middle of the park, on a key part of the battlefield in the
     case of Gettysburg. My own feeling is that Mission 66 was 1) a very
     important part of the history of the NPS itself, and 2) the source of some
     fascinating buildings.

     One or two Mission 66 buildings are already listed in the National
     Register--the wonderful visitor center at Dinosaur National Monument was
     listed some time ago.  The first of the recent campaign was the
     Mitchell/Giurgula visitor center at Wright Brothers--a wonderful building,
     I think!  The Cyclorama building was the second one.  Both have now been
     listed/determined eligible for listing on the Register, which, as most of
     you know, triggers a consultative procedure but does not, repeat not,
     guarantee their preservation.  That is a separate battle that is, I think,
     quite a ways from being won.

     Marilyn Harper
     National Register of Historic Places
     (which is in NO WAY responsible for the content of this message)