BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:02:45 -0800
Bruce,

The town of Burns Lake, where I described the hell diving doctor, is also
known as the geographic centre of BC (take a look at a map to see how really
big BC is and how far from bureaucracy one can really get), and the dirt
strip airport at the time, early 1970's, was serviced by a tiny regional
airline flying a DC3.   Burns Lake gets about 12' of snowfall a winter.   On
afternoon, the incoming DC3 passenger plane couldn't find a grip on the
slick snowpacked runway and plowed into a snow bank at the end of the
runway, nose down/tail up.   It made for great pictures in the local paper
as any available men in town joined the volunteer fire department trying to
pull it back down to level with a big rope looped around the tail.   Burns
Lake is also a logging town, and the kind of people who hang out at the fire
department are generally typical Canadian loggers who don't mess around with
little stuff.   It worked, and after becoming a snowplow at 2:30 pm,
returning to looking like an aircraft at 3:30 pm, turned around with the
help of ropes tied to pick-up trucks by 4 pm, it then took off again at 4:15
pm to complete its commercial hop and jump journey of the day.   Any
passengers who chose not to continue in the plane were given bus tickets.

Ah for the good old days!

cp in real bc