BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:18:01 EDT
In a message dated 8/3/98 10:14:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< One friend was recently upbraided by a client for being billed for time
 spent by a crew-member taking photographs. The client didn't think that he
 ought to "carry the financial burden for your publicity materials". When it
 was pointed out that the contract called for documentation the client
 argued that he had never expected it to be anything but a written report,
 prepared, of course, by the GC without charge over and above his
 percentage. >>

For trust to work in a relationship it has to go two ways. This is where the
contractor has to be prepared to either give it up gracefully, hoping for a
better day, or find another activity on the project to bury the unhonored
charges. The lack of trust in the contractor to do the right job, on the part
of the client, opens the door for all kinds of games. I see this game as the
client trying to cheat the honest contractor by putting them in a position
where they will be forced to feel guilty if they take any action to recover
their loss. It preys on the myth that all contractors are thieves, and the
honest contractor does not want to be a thief. One counter action is to change
the myth and reframe the relationship. I don't like this game, which I have
been forced to play often enough. I certainly hope that if the client is not
going to pay for the photos that the contractor does not give in and supply
the photographs with the report. Unless the contract calls for a minimum word
count, I suggest the contractor supply a very short report -- the final bill.

][<en

][<en