BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:53:48 -0500
MSGuild
> the truth was they didn't trust the system  to give to it
Pyrate,

The book about Buffalo Creek goes into this feeling of suspicion a great
deal. The southern Appalachian community was based on a moonshine
economy for a long time. They already had a culture of suspicion of
outsiders. Then there was the mine company store and script. When
surviving folks were handed trailers and money it seemed like that meant
that nobody cared. The trailers were all bunched together with strangers
living in them. Community was wiped out and replaced with trailer parks.
Where folks used to step out their door to sit on the porch on a trailer
they would step out the door to nothing. No porch, no people. When it
rained on those trailers everyone would put their clothes on lest they
had to run away in a hurry.

What we do have here in America is the non-profit structure that in a
sort of unstated manner goes about doing the work that would not get
done unless the government was larger. The idea is that rather than have
the government raise taxes in order to support large government programs
-- and the politicians to control everything -- to instead let the
people, the citizens, form so-called non-profit organizations that are
mandated to do good works of some usually unstated goals and to not tax
them.

Though it is fairly obvious that the government screwed up pretty good
in the Gulf region response to Katrina and Rita it would be really
difficult to say that the non-profit sector did not come up to the
plate. And a bunch of that non-profit response came about through
individual citizens and corporations giving of their time and money to
the non-profits. The non-profits include churches, foundations (most of
them are set up simply for the reason to give away money, like the WMF),
trade organizations (like the Building Stone Institute), community
oriented organizations, or educational organizations like PTN or APT.

Though it may seem like chaos that we have thousands of non-profits and
that they can do whatever the hell they want as to good works without
the government having much to say about what they actually do what it
does mean is that there is a great deal of freedom of choice for where
people put their money, time and interest that would otherwise be sucked
up in paying taxes to a bigger government to do stuff that we as
individuals would have even less to say about what happens. What we have
is a system that encourages people participating in non-profits to do
good works all over the place all of the time in all sorts of usually
unseen ways... then suddenly something really big happens, like the Gulf
region situation, and energies stored up get focused in that place. What
you get is instead of one response a thousand thousand responses and the
statistical odds are that a good portion of those responses will be
about as much help as humans can possibly come up with.

I don't exactly agree that Americans don't give or do not know how to
give. We are all pretty damned good at giving.

][<en