BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:14:04 EDT
a friend of mine who shall remain nameless ; asked me aboard his 52 foot
fishing boat; to fish the coasts and rips of Nantucket; and sallie the shore
for the late night parties at the salons of dowager Nasdaq queens for blue
claw crabmeat on on small toasts; with splits of champagne;
it was there whilst boasting of my good fortune of taking on blues and
strippers that I was engaged in conservation regarding the preservation of a
large magnificent early anchor of the industrial revolution.
 The anchor is of the large hook type;and it was taken some months ago from
the deep clam shoals nr Martha's Vineyard.It is some 20 ft in height and is
about 20 inches in diameter at its narrow; it is estimated to be 150 to 200
yrs old. Conditions are such that it is now gracing the manicured lawn of an
neighbor who bought it from the clammer for a princely sum;
 it has since fallen on the hard times of neglect; and is failing at a
miserable rate. conditions are such the rust is a 1/4 inch thick; and the
massive oak surrounding it is splitting badly; and meybe lost entirely if
action is not taken; Being a erstwhile member of the pinheads; I like to
think I know stone; my mastrey of metal is something else again;
and the owner asked me to come up with a simple plan to arrest the situation;
and due to his kind generoisty on other matters I said I would try to oblige
him ; through  my fellow lodge members .... fellow pinheads;
 do we  1. grind off all rust? and paint black in rust perventative; and soak
the oak in oil?        while failed banding is replaced to match the
orginal?. I feel that this is radical but I have suggested nothing...any
suggestions?
..he is looking for solutions he can do on site...ps I can get mail on the
road but will be unable to send any for a week as Im on my way to  Nebraska
many thanks...Best Michael