BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 13:38:17 -0700
What makes me laugh is these people who think they can go back to the
quarry where the stone originally came from and get some more to match it
50+ years later.  They don't seem to take into account that there has
probably been a great deal of stone taken from that quarry in the meantime
and what is being quarried now may be quite different in color, texture,
etc than that from long ago.  Also being out in the weather for all those
years may well have changed the color of the original.  Ruth

At 9:36 AM -0400 5/13/04, Met History wrote:
"All happy families are happy alike, all unhappy families are unhappy in
their own way."
Leo Tolstoy,  Anna Karenina

I have always admired the dense, olive-colored graining of Nova Scotia
sandstone, which complements so nicely tan and straw colored brick.  It was
in frequent use in New York City in the 1870's and 1880's by "educated"
architects like Henry Hardenbergh, as on his Dakota apartment house.  From
this I infer that Nova Scotia was more expensive.

Sandstone.   Brownstone is sandstone.  Are all sandstones - whether happy
or unhappy - alike?  The surviving examples of NS sandstone are in pretty
good shape, far better than the typical example of brownstone.

But is this perhaps a flawed sample - that is, the more expensive projects
(using NS) simply had more budget for better quality sandstone?   Or is NS
itself "better" than brownstone?   If so, what is it that makes brownstone
so much worse than NS?   Do our northern neighbors - of whatever province -
even have any brownstone?

Christopher

--
Ruth Barton