BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:20:08 -0500
 >>Later in
the project a plumber had to do an excavation and we found all of the
wonderful perfectly matching dark sand under our feet.<<

Back in the 1990s we were recreating the clay-soil plaster at the Parson
Fisher House in Westbrook, Maine, built in 1751. Parson Fisher's journal
came to light, sending us to the west bank of the nearby brook for
exactly matching clay-soil, and a later entry that the upper front
chamber was plastered in late December, the plaster froze, and was
falling off the next spring, when, he lamented, it had to be replastered
at no small expense. The good Parson's moral drawn from the sobering
experience: "not to get plastered on Christmas, for fear of retribution
by Easter."

John
www.HistoricHomeWorks.com