BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 09:43:22 -0400
On 4/2/2011 9:36 PM, Ruth Barton wrote:
> In education circles these are known as "Action Plans", without the "Surprise or Unplanned Events" rectangle.  I'll have to suggest they include that one, as there sure are plenty of them in education.  Ruth

the reference to surprise or unplanned events, I am reading The Black
Swan (not the movie) by Nassim Nicholas Taleb and it is ALL about
unplanned events

what is tough for me about reading a book about how we cannot plan for
unplanned events is that I am also working on a fairly extensive and
complicated conceptual cost estimate for adaptive re-use of a complex of
farm structures

it was this conflict between an attempt at prediction and the futility
and mirage of predicting anything that led to tracking our use of paper
towels, my analogy was that keeping track of all of the numbers was like
tearing off paper towels and throwing them around the room and then
trying to keep track of which ones went where. so we decided they need
labels

][<