BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:57:08 -0400
Larry,
You got the frost heaves. We got those after a person who shall remain
unnamed decided to cut away all the berming around our foundation to
"make it easier to mow."

Go with the second guy if the I beams are installed on the inside in
opposing pairs and tied into the joists at top and set in channels in
the floor at the bottom.

We went with a different guy who was (and the emphasis is on WAS) an
acquaintance and an excavator, and he put in C channels but
throughbolted them to big eyes outside, where he had yes, removed most
of the front yard and put giant turnbuckles and attached them to
"deadmen" he poured deep in the yard. The whole process took weeks, he
sprayed the wall with tar on the outside to stop leaks, he finally
filled the yard in, and it has sunk in places a foot. And that was just
to do one wall. And the basement still leaks, and I still don't know how
many thousand $$ he got paid but he did a terrible job.

The other process uses I beams on all interior walls, and braces across
on the INSIDE of the house, in pairs. No disturbance outside.

There is a company in Grove City OH that use this method, and I will try
to get contact info for them. I had all that but their services weren't
an option since a "buddy" was already  involved in the job, so I let the
info get submerged in the general information overload here.  :-)

~deb