BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:15:12 -0500
On 12/18/2010 1:02 AM, Cuyler Page wrote:
> "Wanting to meet an author because you like his work is like wanting
> to meet a duck because you like paté."  -  Margaret Atwood, Canadian
> novelist and poet (b. 1939)

cp,

Nice quote.

I recently learned that the reason we no longer have Peking duck farms
on Long Island is because of the Dutch duck disease.

I have met a few authors and I can say in most cases the paté was more
rewarding.

One of the holiday parties I recently attended a structural engineer,
for whatever reason, decided to ask me what I do. I never know quite
what to say in these circumstances. Often I turn to the nearest person
that knows me and ask them to explain. In this case I was on my own
which was not such a bad circumstance as the structural engineer was
quite charming. I talked about work helping structural engineers.

My current business card is quite plain, it has my name on it in the
center with at the bottom left corner a Google Voice phone number and
e-mail address. Flip it over and it says, "Business Cards are free at..."

I enjoy the responses that I get when I hand out the card.

In this case the structural engineer looked at the card, read the name,
then suddenly exclaimed, "I know this person!"

In this case they did not mean the Welsh author, they meant that they
had been reading my BS on LinkedIn.

It was a pleasant paté.

On another note: though I took pictures of your former residence in
Ellis Hollow I have not been able to find them to send on to you. I keep
looking.

][<en