BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:28:22 -0500
My other great find of the weekend.

Bluestone is a sandstone, similar to brownstone, only it is gray or
blue, sometimes nearly purple. Often used for terrace pavers and
sidewalks. As I know it commonly quarried on the southwestern portion of
the Catskills into Northern NJ.

“I had a sore on my ankle and it would spread and it would come up my
leg plumb up to my belt, and my leg would swell fit to bust. The blood
would run out of it, and I would stay as high as seven, eight, nine days
in the hospital at a time, and they would run that disease down to my
ankle, but they couldn't cure it. They said I would carry it to my
grave. . . . So I was in the hospital one time and there was an old
woman sitting there at the desk and I was on the bed. She told me, she
said, "Mister, I don't know your name, but I can tell you something that
will cure that." And I said, "I wish you would, this doctor here is
wearing me out." She told me to get some bluevittle or bluestone and
dissolve it up in lukewarm water and wash my leg in it. And I done so,
and now my leg is as well as anybody's leg.” frm /Everything in Its
Path, Destruction of Community in the Buffalo Creek Flood/ by Kai T.
Erikson, p 229.