BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 17:36:57 -0800
It is my experience that there is no "dark of night" in NYC.  There's
ALWAYS light pollution.  Ruth, who hasn't been to the city for MANY moons,
and hasn't missed it a bit.

At 12:43 AM -0400 10/22/06, [log in to unmask] wrote:
...this sort of performance piece on the roof of the Metropolitan Museum of
Art by Cai Guo-Qiang.  Every day at noon a small aerial shell is set off,
and explodes in fromt of the assembled onlookers, perhaps 100 feet away,
producing a black cloud of smoke.  When I saw it for the first (and only)
time I missed half of it because I was looking away.  I regretted my
inattention, but then I realized that Cai's clouid is not really a one-shot
thing.  It is most powerful when seen (or simply imagined) as a work of
multiple episodes, each one different:  cloud hangs together, cloud is
whirlpooled, cloud is swept up, or down, or sideways.   Each day is
different.  You don't even need to see the various days - your imagination
can bring you there.

Tonight, walking up Broadway at 83rd, I passed an older apartment house,
with a tall stovepipe type boiler stack.   The boiler fired up, and blew a
very big cloud of black smoke out into the sunset rays.  It twisted and
turned in the newly-cold air of late October, writhing and twirling.

I wonder if it does that in the dark, at night.

Christopher
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT