BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 23:14:41 -0400
Alna has a couple of head-scratchers, Hollywood Blvd., which is a four mile
long dirt road with about 5 houses on it, and Egypt Road, a one lane
blacktop for about a mile that turns into a 5 mile long dirt road with
about 8 houses on it.

Our local favorite, however is the Rabbit Path, 7 miles of hellish
corrugated dirt. After years without a rode sign we put one up and went
through a two year period in which we replaced it 5 times. Figuring that,
if we kept it up much longer, half the basement rec rooms in New Jersey
would soon be sporting a green Rabbit Path marker, we let the road return
to anonymity, except, of course, in the hearts of locals.

No one remembers how these roads got their names, but there is no wonder
about one local landmark that I think I've mentioned before: A crossroads
with two dairy farms sitting beside it, proudly wears the moniker Cowshit
Corners, and, yes, there is a sign, but not an official state-approved one.
Anyone interested in tee shirts please contact me. Selling them is one of
our most successful local industries.

Another curious local lane is the mile long  King's Highway, which runs
from a local crossroad to dead-end on a spit of land jutting into the
Sheepscot River. Having grown up on the somewhat more majestic Kings
Highway that crosses much of Brooklyn, I sometimes find it necessary to
explain to natives why I chuckle every time the road comes up in
conversation.

Bruce