BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!"
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:57:35 +0100
][<en - not sure I know what you mean when you say leader, but I assume that it is the connection from the box gutter on the cornice to the downpipe to carry away the water ... and I assume from the context that it is an internal downpipe.

If so, then I'm not sure that it is much more than putting a water hose down the leader.  Yes, you may need to block the leader at the base temporarily (although I don't like the probable consequences of doing so).

If you are bidding the job, can you put in a question seeking clarification of the testing procedure required by the specifier (of course, they probably don't know themselves what they want - just that they want to make sure the downpipes don't leak!)?

There is of course the cynical 'contractor looking for future claims' approach.  Allow to stick a water hose down the leaders, and say so in your bid ... and then if they don't like it, tell them that they didn't specify anything different!

Does anybody else have a good procedure for testing the downpipes / leaders?  After all, if they are built into masonry, there's not much point in doing a smoke test, and a water test where you block the bottom will just mean that you do a whole lot of damage to the paintwork and plaster on the inside of the building if it leaks!

david

>>> Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]> 23/07/99 3:44:26 >>>
Probe project I am looking at to bid requires the following:

"Provide smoke or water test at each of the internal leaders of the cornice
above the second floor."

Could someone please explain to me the proceedure for such a test?

I assume such a test means more than putting a water hose down the leader.
I also assume dropping an M-80 down the leader is not acceptable.

][<en