BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:13:22 -0500
There is a very tasteful MacDonald's in Verona, Italy.  We discovered it
while walking to the old city.  It was in a wonderful 2nd empire
building which was not altered at all from the street facade.
Coincidentally, we stopped in the day of their grand opening, which was
also Mother's Day (La Fete de Mama!) and I received a very nice carved
marble heart as a gift (for the mother!).

In Ann Arbor, we had a unique, award-winning modern MacDonald's built
right downtown in the early 1970s.  I think mostly because of the
location, it did not do well, and it closed a few years ago.  In the
interim we designated the whole area as a historic district, even
non-contributing buildings, so that put the modern, now-defunct
MacDonald's building under our review.  The approved redesign is for a
Chinese nightclub, but I haven't seen any work yet, so I'm not holding
my breath.

Ilene