BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
It's a heck of a world when an all-American boy can't carry a pocketknife! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:39:21 -0500
Rhonda and Sylvia,

I'd like to know more about your involvement in Wisconsin, since we're
only across the lake.  Also, we run a Field School in the UP which might
be a common meeting ground.  We is not actually me, but Eastern Michigan
University, for which I am an adjunct instructor in preservation
technology.  I also teach part of the program at the field school, held
each June at Fayette State Park.  We haven't had many from outside
Michigan, drawing largely from the EMU program, but others (Sylvia?) are
welcome to sign up.  Refer to the web site for photos and a more
complete description.

http://www.emich.edu/public/geo/geography/hp.htm

QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA

219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
www.quinnevans.com
v 734.663.5888
f 734.663.5044

Date:    Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:34:29 -0600
From:    Rhonda Deeg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Paper vs Field Experience

Sylvia,
So wonderful for you to be interested in the preservation trades and
know that you are continuing to pursue your Master's degree in this
field. I assume you are currently in Georgia, by your email address. I
concur with others that you should complete what you are working on now
and then possibly go onto more specialized training, at a later date.
Try attending field schools in the summer. I have information on those,
as well- just email me. I suggest that you also attend the 2003 PTN
conference in Maryland, which will help you connect and network with
preservation trades advocates from all over the world.  You might want
to surf the web site: www.ptn.org (if you already haven't) or check out
www.epreservation.net to find programs in your area. (a great
preservation resource site) I however, am pursuing my PhD with a
dissertation focus on perpetuating the preservation trades. Part of my
research has been trying to locate preservation trades programs across
the U.S. The closest program to you- is in Charleston, South Carolina-
called the School of the Building Arts. They offer a two-year
certificate program. BUT- if you are thinking of a associates degree or
interested in continuing education- ALAS I have just been hired to
develop and implement a new Building Preservation/Restoration program at
Harford Community College in Bel Air, Maryland. I will be beginning at
my new location in January 2003 and forsee a program up and running for
next fall of 2003. I will keep you personally posted on this using your
personal email, if preferred. Look forward to hearing from you and best
wishes in your endeavors, Rhonda L. Deeg Bear Valley, WI

University of Wisconsin-Madison
PhD student-Continuing and
Vocational Education, dept.

Preservation Trades Network, member
Chair-Voc/Tech High School Task Force committee
http://www.epreservation.net

Michigan Construction Teachers Association, member  http://www.mctal.org

Association for Career and Technical Education, member
http://www.acteonline.org