BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:41:01 -0400
On September 16, 1999 11:57 AM, Mary Krugman [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

> How's it with you Dan?

This one missed us, mostly.  Still have trees down, but nothing like Fran.
 Most severe issue is flooding, especially where it is really flat down
east in the coastal flood plain... they had up to a foot and a half of
rain dumped in 12-18 hours, and there's no downhill for it to flow to.  An
example is Roanoke Rapids. Normal for Tar River there is 15 feet.  Flood
stage is 23 feet.  Record was 28 feet.  It was at 29 feet this morning,
expected to crest at 34 to 35 feet.  The gauge only goes to 31.5 feet.

Limited video I've seen shows a lot of trees down in beautiful, historic
Wilmington, NC.  More like what Fran did to Raleigh.  The coming days will
tell how much damage done to the historic resources.  We were lucky in
Raleigh during Fran...for some reason the trees seemed to respect the
venerable historic buildings for the most part, landing next to the
buildings, not on them.  So far, all I know about here in Raleigh is an
oak tree leaning on the slate roof of Sacred Heart Cathedral in our
Capitol Square Historic District, no other reports yet...I'm about to head
out to survey the historic domain.

As for my personal historic resource, no problems.  It kept all the
outsides out.  It's a good house.  Most concern is over the standing seam
metal roof, which wasn't attached with traditional cleats when it was
installed 1935ish.  When the wind blows hard, the lowered air pressure
over the roof surface causes the roof to warple, a sound not unlike the
sound you would get by warpling a thin sheet of aluminum flashing.
 Problem is you don't know if that sound you hear is the roof warpling, or
being peeled back by the wind like a banana peel.  All is well, but I
didn't sleep entirely soundly, truth be told.

I still head out tomorrow to be Mr. Veg-O-Matic slicing up all those giant
heads of broccoli stalks laying around on some of the streets.  The city's
philosophy is to mobilize additional resources to expedite clean-up,
rather than let it drag on by using only the regular street maintenance
crews.

Sign me

dan 'clip clip here, snip snip there, in the merry merry land of floyd'
becker
Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "What does he got that I
Raleigh Historic                               haven't got?  Courage!"
Districts Commission                                - Cowardly
Lion