BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:38:24 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Is there such a thing as an air conditioner holder -- a brace which fits in
the
> window, serving as a platform for the A/C, which is braced on the sill.
I"d like to
> create a standard for the building.... I'd rather not have anything braced
against the
> wall.  How do New Yorkers deal with this?

They don't, it's disgusting, but I have a (tiny-scale, home-made) solution.
I like to remove my through-window AC's - hey, we only use the ugly things
three months a year, there's not reason to look at them for longer than that!

I had cut an assembly of three elements:

First, a 1" thick plywood panel as wide as the window frame (it fits in the
track of the window) with top and bottom margins larger than the vertical
height of the AC unit.  There is an inside rectangular opening cut in this
panel just the size of the AC housing.

Second and third, two small raised ledges for the inside sill and the outside
sill (also put together out of plywood.  These make a common interior and
exterior platform which is just level with the bottom cut on the large
plywood panel set into the window track.  I secure these panels to each other
with flat metal strips (right now using the unused hangers for my microwave
oven) crossing from inside to outside - so the outside one doesn't fall out
and make a noise, waking little Mary Davidson.

Then I pick up my two 300 lb. air conditioners (actually, I get a keg and
then invite the BP list up to my office for a "BP internet IPO strategy
session") and slide the ACs into the opening  ONLY FAR ENOUGH to get the side
vents to the outside - this still leaves well more than half the weight on
the INSIDE of the window - which I think is a nice comfy place for it to be.

I like this arrangement because it doesn't create a permanently unwashed
"trapped" section of window, it keeps the center of gravity inside the window
(unlike almost all other through-window installations, hence the need for
those braces) and it's easy to remove (allowing for beer).  The only tweaking
I'd like to do is substitute a 1" thick plexiglass panel for the plywood one
- more light.

Love and kisses,  sign me,
Protected by Patents