BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:38:54 -0500

> lime mortared) tends to have some flex, and can move and actually re-
seal
> itself so long as the movement is gradual enough.
>
> Does lime mortar self-heal in a dry environment, like on the inside
of a
> wood-fire heated house?
>
> ][<en

Moisture migration provides the mobility for deposition of calcite in
lime mortar cracks. No moisture migration, no healing.

While it is heretical to suggest that engineering principles should be
considered in histo presto alchemy, it seems to me that what we are
really looking at when we talk about "flexibility" of any of the lime
and lime-cement mortars is Modulus of Elasticity, or the ability to
deform under stress. I rarely see this term mentioned in this niche,
but it is probably one of the two most important properties.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive